24 February 2009

Expectations

I don't have to write this. I don't have to put course content online. I don't have to post grades online. I don't have to give people extra time to work on assignments or take tests. I don't have to do a lot of things that make my job harder, more time consuming, or add multi-media sources to coursework.

I'm writing this because I'm not sure everyone knows that. When you complain to me, or offer any number of excuses for why your work isn't done, or why you weren't in class; or get frustrated when you can't access a website, I want you to know that I'm already putting a great deal of effort into whatever course you are in to help you succeed.

All I ask in return is the same commitment to your work that I put into mine. If the course you are in is a priority for you then you will find a way to get things done.

My job is to challenge you and help you progress within the subject matter of your class.

Your job is to rise to the occasion and do your work.

Next time: Proof Reading

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Hi Jon, when I came across this posting I thought... this is exactly how I somtimes feel with some classes... I used to tell them I would get back to the classbook then.... which is so much easier for me.... did you get any reaction from your students to this post? I am considering to put this as a quote in their moodle classroom forum and make them comment on it ;-)
    BTW I am an English teacher from Germany...
    Sigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for posting that. I'm thrilled that someone else outside of my classes read this post.

    I typically don't get too many student comments on my blog as we usually discuss the posts/issues in class. The group I really want to see this is on Spring Break right now and we'll be covering it as the new session begins next week.

    From now on I plan on reviewing what my job and student expectations are of me as we begin each class so they know how much extra work I put into making things more accessible for them. Feel free to share these frustrations with anyone you'd like. I guess it's not just a problem with U.S. students then.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessika N3:37 PM

    Hey Mr. Fila! I'm in your tuesday night classes for Strategies for Success. I know this has no relation to the topic addressed above but I've been trying to find the link for our extra credit discussion and can find it nowhere. I did the pages in the book but not the discussion part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:57 PM

    Mr. Fila,
    I enjoy your class but still having problems finding the link for any discussion for extra point. i'm in mrjon.ninehub.com, but where do i click from here, after loggin in?- Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I'm glad you found my blog.

    Once you log into http://mrjon.ninehub.com and click into your NAU Strategies for Success class look in the first block that says, Discussion of course topics.

    When you click on that you will be able to view other discussions or click on the button that says Add a new discussion topic to start your own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, just wanna let you that I think that all the extra stuff you do for your classes is great and it sure would be nice if every instructor offered as much as you. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete